Meat & Potatoes. Simple but so satisfying, unless you are a vegan I guess... Anyways this recipe was something I just threw together because I wanted a simple but hearty dinner one evening. Most of these ingredients I have in my kitchen already so it's a recipe I'll come back to again and again!
It's a basic one-pot meal that will be on your dinner table in minutes. No need for side dishes or extra carbs (rice/pasta) since this is a meal all on its own.
Check out the recipe below and let me know what you think!
Start out with some of the staples in your kitchen, if you don't have zucchini then throw in another vegetable you have on hand!
Flour the chicken thighs to keep in the moisture and then start the cook by browning the chicken & building the flavour.
Once all ingredients are in (don't forget the magic ingredient = tomato paste!) cover and let it do it's thing :)
A perfect one-pot meal the whole family will enjoy!
Chicken with Zucchini & Potatoes
3 cloves of garlic, minced
8 boneless & skinless chicken thighs
1 C flour
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
3 medium potatoes, cut into chunks
3/4 C white wine
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 medium zucchini, cut into rounds
3/4 C water or chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
1. Lightly salt and then dredge the chicken thighs in flour, shake the excess flour off. Then heat a large braising pot with the vegetable oil and add in garlic, stir frequently until garlic is lightly browned
2. Now let's brown the chicken! Add in the chicken thighs and brown each side for about 3-4 minutes. You may need to brown the chicken in batches if there's not enough room in the pot. Remove the chicken once browned and place on a plate, we will return to the chicken later!
3. Moving on to the veggies...In the same pot that you used for the chicken, add in the extra virgin olive oil and let it heat up for a minute or so. Add in the onions, stir frequently until translucent. Next up, add in the potatoes and brown on all sides, this will take about 6-8 minutes depending on how large you cut the potato chunks. Sprinkle in a pinch of salt (or two) and a pinch of black pepper.
4. Go get those chickens again! Add back the browned chicken into the pot with the potatoes. Then throw the zucchini in as well as the tomato paste. Mix well with the rest of the ingredients. You may find the pot is getting a little sticky so de-glaze the pot by pouring in the white wine. Go in for another round of seasoning by adding in a pinch of salt and a pinch of black pepper. If you still find the ingredients to be sticking to the bottom of the pan, feel free to add the water or stock (up to 3/4 C)
5. Mix well and then cover the pot to finish the cook. You will need to cook this for about 20 minutes or so until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are soft. Check back every 5 minutes. I left mine in for about 30 minutes and the veggies were a little overcooked :(
6. Once the chicken is cooked through and the veggies are your preferred "done-ness" remove from the pot and into a serving plate. Sprinkle some freshly cracked black pepper if you desire and then serve, devour & enjoy!